Where To Stay Logo

West Coast Fossil Park - Western Cape

• Fossils in situ at the West Coast Fossil Park excavation.  © TinJack, License
  • The West Coast Fossil Park is one of the richest fossil sites in the world, containing a treasure trove of fossils that date back approximately 5 million years.  © West Coast Fossil Park

West Coast Fossil Park - Western Cape

The West Coast Fossil Park is a renowned paleontological site located near Langebaan on the Cape West Coast of South Africa. It is one of the richest fossil sites in the world, containing a treasure trove of fossils that date back approximately 5 million years. The park is famous for its well-preserved fossils of extinct animals, including short-necked giraffes, saber-toothed cats, African bears, and ancient elephants. These fossils provide a glimpse into the ancient landscapes and ecosystems of the region.

The West Coast Fossil Park offers guided tours where visitors can explore the excavation site and view fossils in situ. The park also features a museum with interactive exhibits that detail the history of the area and the various species that once roamed the region. In addition to its paleontological significance, the park also has walking trails and picnic spots, making it a great destination for a family outing.

In 1958 an employee at the Chemfos Mine, Mr. I S Brown, showed researchers what appeared to be fossils that had been unearthed while excavating material from the company's phosphate mine in Langabaanweg. Subsequent investigation revealed that they were indeed fossils dating back nearly 5 million years ago. One of the fossils was identified as being a tooth of a prehistoric elephant, while the other specimen turned out to be an anklebone of a long-extinct short-necked giraffe.

For the next 40 years palaeontologists worked in close cooperation with the mine, and continued to unravel evidence of the fascinating world that once existed in this now rather dry windswept region. The mine was eventually de-commissioned in 1993 and administration was handed over to the South African Museum and SAMANCOR, whereby the West Coast Fossil Park came into existence.

Over the years the Fossil Park has proven to be one of the world's richest fossil sites in the world and has recently been declared a World Heritage Site.

The following are some of the more interesting fossils discovered so far:
- a sabre-toothed cat
- a three-toed horse dating back 12 million years
- the gomphothere elephant extinct for over 2 million years
- Agriotherium africanum - a large bear-like creature

Contact details for the West Coast Fossil Park:
Address:
West Coast Fossil Park, R45, Langebaanweg, West Coast, South Africa
Phone: +27 (0)22 766 1606
Email: info@fossilpark.org.za

Accommodation Near West Coast Fossil Park - Western Cape

Showing 1 to 10 of 10 results